Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What is a Kalligratographer?


A Kalligratographer? I made it up, of course! My name is Kathy, hence the "K". I am a calligrapher and a photographer and I combine these two arts in my work. Welcome to my first blog. I love looking for letters in ordinary places, which I guess, is better than looking for letters in all the wrong places, right? But, really, if you look, you can find letters everywhere. My favorite places are in architecture, art and nature.
So, I want to tell you where the letters in my WELCOME come from--- W is from a beautiful porcelain bowl at the St. Louis Art Museum (SLAM) E is from a trellis (turned sideways) at the MO Botanical Gardnes (MOBOT) L is from a Max Beckman painting at SLAM C is from a bronze plaque in the walkway at MOBOT O is the Chinese Symbol for Heaven and Earth at SLAM M is on a wrought iron bench at MOBOT E is an architectural detail at City Museum in St. Louis I guess by now you've figured out that I am from St. Louis! Don't believe everything you hear, St. Louis is a great city to live in. There are tons of free things to do--like the zoo, the Art Museum, the Muny etc. But today, with the snow falling furiously, the best thing is sled riding
on Art Hill in Forest Park--directly in front of the Art Museum, just don't miss the haybales and fall into the lake! If you would like to see more of the ways I use my letters, visit my website at www.kathyorf.com

3 comments:

floofy said...

Nice! I'm gonna have to get one of these!

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy. Read about you in "Minuscule" and followed up on your Blog. I'm editor of "Rogue Pens" in Ashland, OR. I intend to include something about you in our next issue as I find your stuff very creative and enjoyable to see. Phil

Lois said...

Hi Kathy,
I love your work; I've ordered from you for the past two years at the art fair at Francis Park.
I was just wanting to know if you have any up-coming shows.
Hope to see you soon. Lois